Get Prepared For Your Puppies Arrival
Read our Forum everyday! The forum is a great place to meet other Smeraglia's TeddyBearGoldendoodles & TeddyBearSchnoodle puppy owners, stay in touch with littermates, share stories, pictures and share helpful advice.
Please visit the TBDOODLES Store at Cafe Press for exclusive TeddyBearGoldendoodle & TeddyBearSchnoodle Merchandise. This is where you can get adorable puppy shirts, coffee mugs, hats and all kinds of great items, which feature our cute exclusive Goldendoodle and Schnoodle Logo.
What Vaccinations did my puppy get prior to coming home? Each Puppy will come home with a health record chart and Health Guarantee enclose in their puppy kit, please take the health record to you vet when you go in for your puppy's first check-up.
Great Articles for New Puppy Owners:
We begin crate training once the puppies are weaned and highly recommend that you continue the training once your puppy arrives home.
Have a crate on hand for the first few weeks and keep your puppy in it when you are not with him, but not for more than a few hours at a time. Make sure the crate is not too big. It should be large enough for the puppy to stand up, turn around, stretch out, but no larger. Dogs do not want to soil their bed and the use of a crate teaches them to control their urge to eliminate. Your puppy has already begun some of his crate training before he arrives to you. He has already learned along with his litter mates that his crate is for sleeping and not for going potty in. Because of this per-training, most pups are very easy to crate train, But, please be aware: a dog that is left in a crate all day long, gets let out in the evening after work for a few hours and then put back in the crate for the night can become a very unhappy, destructive dog.
If you work all day, it is recommended that you find someone who can let you dog out for a potty break and play time midday if you intend on crating your dog while you are gone. If this is not possible, then only use the crate at night. If you must leave your dog all day long every day and you have nobody to let the dog out during the day, you should find a room that he can be contained in and put down food, water and toys. A kitchen, bathroom, or utility room works great. You should set up the room so that a bed and food are at one end and pee pads or newspaper at the other. They need to find something to occupy their mind, so give your dog plenty of toys. Dogs are den animals and will usually come to like the crate, but even a den animal would go crazy if it was locked up all day long.
(Private Boarding School )
Here At Smeraglia's, we realize that while very exciting, bringing a new puppy into your home can be a frustrating, life-interrupting event. With the new information now available about canine behavioral development, we know that the first few days, weeks, and months of your puppy's life are critical for his happy and healthy development, as well as a lifetime of harmony in your home.
The puppy prep school program was developed exclusively for our special TeddyBearSchnoodle puppies, 20 weeks and under.
Our program is very different than most other puppy training programs because our focus is on preventing undesirable behaviors from become habit while developing desired behaviors in the appropriate way for each individual during key developmental stages to insure behavioral soundness for the companion (family) animal that is functional in a real world setting. The program consists of at least 2 weeks of boarding in a real home environment, complete with young children, a police K9 trainer husband and training done by a Certified examiner for the AKC'S CGC program and the Delta Societies Pet Partners program, in addition to numerous other professional group affiliations and endorsements. During this time, your puppy will be given, round-the-clock care while receiving daily training, custom tailored to your individual situation and needs. We can only enroll a few puppies at a time so you must reserve a spot early, limited Availability.
As with children, you will likely want to puppy proof your house. Part of it is to keep the pup safe, and the rest is to keep your stuff safe from the pup. Puppies chew things. Everything below four feet is fair game. Expect it and prepare for it. One of the best solutions is to offer a wide variety of puppy safe chew products all over each accessible floor in the house. If the pup is going to chew, you might as well control what he is chewing.
- Use child proof locks to keep substances like pesticides, meds, cleaning products, plants, etc. locked up in cabinets and away from your pup.
- When pups are very young, even rawhide strips can be dangerous, never give these to your puppy unsupervised.
- Be aware that some foods and plants are toxic to dogs.
- Avoid heat stroke and don't leave pups or dogs locked in cars.
- After your puppy comes home, There are Health Risks for Parvo!
- You should NOT allow your puppy to be out in public places until after the Parvo vaccinations have been completed, 12-16 weeks.
Check out workingdogs.com for more information on Parvo. The surest way to avoid parvo infection in your dog is to adhere to the recommended vaccination schedule which begins when puppies are 6-8 weeks of age. Puppies should not be allowed to socialize with other dogs or frequent areas where other dogs have been until 2 weeks after they have had their last vaccination. Immunization for parvo is usually included in your dog's distemper vaccine. This shot gives protection against several potentially fatal canine diseases all at the same time.
Most products can be purchased from Smeraglia Pet Boutique now!
- Paper towels (a lot of paper towels)
- Old Towels for Crate. Once puppy is reliably crate trained, a "real" crate bed can be used.
- Old Blanket or Towel(s) to cover wire Crate
- Cotton balls for cleaning ears
- Hydrogen Peroxide (to induce vomiting, if necessary)
- 100% Pure canned Pumpkin (from the baking isle of your grocery store)
Pumpkin is a good source of fiber. When puppy has diarrhea or constipation, a tablespoon or two with every meal for several days should help alleviate symptoms. Freeze excess in ice cube tray.
- Baby Gate(s)
Try baby supply stores - generally more choices and cheaper than pet stores (Beware that horizontal bars provide a foot-hold for climbing puppies. Also consider spacing between bars, as some times it is large enough for little puppies to get caught)
- Pro Plan Chicken & Rice Puppy Formula - 1 (50lb) Bag - then order the Life's Abundance Food
- CODE 34820
- Your puppy has been on Nuvet Plus Vitamins since 6 weeks of age, I highly recommend this vitamin for your new puppy. You need to place your order before your puppy comes home.
- You can click on the Nuvet Plus Vitamins link above to order.
- Karbo Essential - This product is highly recommended for digestion by Sherri for all Goldendoodles and Schnoodles!
- Malacetic Ear Wash
- Les Pooches Brush 2" - The Ultimate Schnoodle Brush
- Tell Bell - Potty Training System
- Puppy Shampoo & Conditioner: Nootie & Les Pooche's Puppy Male or Female
- Our Favorite Puppy Fragrances: Les Pooch VIP Splash & Le Pooch Puppy
- Tooth Brush Kit : We use the Kissable Brush & Paste
- Chew Hooves - The Puppy pacifier, your puppy has been chewing these in the nursery
- Toys : See Some of our Favorite Toys & Training Products
- BioDeodorizer Spray & Floorwash Concentrate
- Bitter Apple (bitter taste deters dogs from biting, licking, and chewing)
- Pooper Scooper & Poop bags
- Food and water bowls , I love the Neater Feeder, because I am a neat freak!
- Storage bin for dry food : Get The Air Tight One From Pet Smart
- Adjustable Nylon collar w/plastic clasp
10 - 14 inch size for standard or medium Doodle puppies, Smaller for mini Doodle puppies.
- I.D. Tag
(e.g. See http://boomerangtags.com for their flat collar tags for adjustable collars. They also sell collars with tags included for the smaller sized dogs).
- 6 foot leash
- 15 foot or longer (up to 50 foot) training leash(es)
- Plastic Crate for crate training
- Another good idea is the Double door folding crate with divider (we like both Midwest and Precision brands)
- Medium - Standard Sized Doodles need at least a 42 inch crate, we recommend the 48. Mini Doodles can use a 36 inch crate.
- Travel Crate for car until puppy is big enough to wear a car harness
A Special Thanks To Marla For Posting This On Our Forum
- For a new puppy owner, there are a number of great general positive training books. My top picks would be:
Ian Dunbar: Before and After Getting Your Puppy
Pat Miller: The Power of Positive Dog Training
Patricia McConnell: Family Friendly Dog Training; Way To Go-How To House train A Dog of Any Age
- Top picks for Clicker training:
Melissa Alexander: Click for Joy
Emma Parsons: Click To Calm
Karen Pryor: Getting Started: Clicker Training for Dogs
Peggy Tillman: Clicking With Your Dog
Now, if you love reading, here are a few other general positive training book recommendations:
- Robin Bennett: Off Leash Dog Play
Trish King: Parenting Your Dog
Patricia McConnell: The Other End of the Leash, How To Be Leader of the Pack, Play Together-Stay Together
Pat Miller: Play With Your Dog, Positive Perspectives
Leslie Nelson: video – Really Reliable Recall
Colleen Pelar: Living with Kids and Dogs Without Losing Your Mind
Karen Pryor: Don’t Shoot the Dog
Turid Rugaas: On Talking Terms With Dogs: Calming Signals
Linda Tellington-Jones: Getting In TTouch With Your Dog
FOOD AND TREATS
Our puppies are weaned to Pro Plan Chicken & Rice Puppy Formula.
We feed them Pro Plan Chicken & Rice Puppy Formula until they are approximately 20 weeks old and then we take them to the Adult Food For Life, " Life's Abundance".
We were originally weaning them directly to Life's Abundance because it the absolute best for for our puppies through their life. It's the best we've found for the G.I issues that are common in Goldendoodles. The pieces are bit large for our tiny puppies and it seemed a little hard for them to transition from mommy's milk to this food directly.
When your puppy goes home you need to get one 50lb bag of Purina Pro Plan- then get signed up for the Life's Abundance food to be dropped shipped and ready to feed when the puppy is between 20-24 weeks old. We do not believe that puppies need the high fat & protein that is in puppy food for their first year. This can cause obesity and excess weight gain that can be harmful to their hips and joints.
Life's Abundance Food is the BEST Adult Food For Life!
It has the healthy goodness of a home-cooked meal
This is a wonderful food that can be dropped ship to your home. there are 146 cups of food in a 40lb. bag. A 50lb dog would get 2 cups a day. A 40lb bag will last a 50lb dog approx. 10.5 weeks. Puppies get approximately 3/4 of a cup three times a day, therefore the food last 8-10 weeks. The is the freshest most healthy food on the market.
Schnoodles are a super healthy breed, but there is one issue that I have observed over the last 5 years. Some Schnoodle have very sensitive G.I tracks that causes loose stools and bowel irritation. I have found that there are certain ingredients or preservitives in the store bought dog foods that many Schnoodles do not tolerate well. I spent many hours doing research on all the different dog foods, I have tried almost every food on the market and I have not been sataisfied until found Life's Adundance Food. Once I switched over to this food I have seen a world of difference in my dogs. I also shipped bags of the food to many of my puppy families that were experiencing intestinal issues and 100% of the issues were gone within a week of being on Life's Abundance Food. This food is 100% Natural, Organic food, it is the freshest food on the market. It does not have the preservatives that store bought foods have. If a dog food is sold in a store it must have a 2 year shelf life, our food is shipped direct to you because it does not have the harmful preservatives that can irritate our precious dogs system. The food is ordered directly from the company and is delivered fresh to your door. I recommend that you get set up autoship. All you have to do it so click onto the Life's Abundance site and order your products, then ave them auto shipped to your home every 6 weeks, your food will last a few weeks longer than 6 wks but I like to have mine here a couple of week early just for peace of mind. Oh, just a side note, they also have cat food and many of my clients have switched their cats over and they are loving it as well.
These are the holistic organic products that I recommend from Life's Abundance
- Life's Abundance Premium Health Food (40 lb. bag) : Life’s Abundance Premium Health Food is made with select ingredients, including high-quality chicken and catfish meals, whole grains, nutritious vegetables and fruits, omega fatty acids and much more. We never use corn or wheat products and we never use artificial flavors or colors. With Life’s Abundance, you can be confident that you are feeding your dog advanced nutrition.
- Antioxidant Health Bars (24 ounce jar) : Antioxidant Bars include apples, peanut butter and honey, oatmeal, stabilized rice bran, brown rice, ground flaxseed, rolled oats, flaxseed oil, dried whole eggs, cranberries and carrots. Since antioxidants are so important to maintaining a healthy immune system, we’ve added a hefty helping of vitamin E, vitamin C and beta-carotene.
- Dental Treats: Dental treats include parsley (which has fluorine to help with clean teeth and fresh breath), peanut butter and honey for a yummy taste,calcium and phosphorus for healthy bones. This treat is generally liked by all dogs - it is on the softer side of all the treats, will help maintain good oral hygiene.
- Tasty Rewards Training Treats (16 ounce bag) : Tasty Rewards (training treats) are wholesome nutritional training treats made from free-range, farm-raised chicken and venison. They’re loaded with proteins, minerals, vitamins and essential fatty acids. (Every dog loves these treats!) Keep in mind, all our treats are made in a human bakery and contain no artificial flavors or colors. All of our treats have a purpose, they are no just empty calories.
- Porkey Puffy (5in Bag) :
Porky Puffs are packed with high-quality protein, they are chewable treats that are non-greasy and contain no chemical preservatives or flavors. They are easily digestible and therefore a safe alternative to rawhide, which can cause choking, throat irritations and potentially dangerous intestinal blockages.
- Medium Pork hide Bones (4 bones in a bag) : Porkhide bones are gourmet chew treats made with 100% natural pork skin. Great for any puppy that is teething!
TeddyBear Goldendoodle & Schnoodle Grooming Instructions:
- WE GROOM OUR SCHNOODLES EXACTLY LIKE OUR GOLDENDOODLES - THE LOVE TEDDY BEAR LOOK
- Grooming the Goldendoodle
- Basic Maintenance
- Grooming Step By Step
- How Trim Nails